Thursday, September 2, 2010

to want is to need???

or IS IT?

"It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you've got." Sheryl Crow

I title this post, "the want" because lately I want so many things. I am not sure if the wantis more predominate now or if I am just paying more attention because my closet is busting at the seams. Everywhere I go, I see advertisements telling me what phone to carry, what purse to buy, what shampoo to use. I am even being told what to clothes to sweat in. There are expensive creams promising to make me younger and sneakers swearing they make my legs toner. The common thread is that these all are things that I already own, yet I feel constantly compelled to upgrade.

I categorize these temptations as my 
want. How can I have a perfectly great pair (or 10) of shoes, yet I am salivating over Christian Louboutins and feel the desperate need to buy booties? How is it that I own six amazing winter coats, yet I am pining over the latest green military jackets? We all know that to want is different than to need, and I am not at all suggesting we live in the clothes until they become so tattered they are publicly inappropriate. I do enjoy the occasional indulgence, especially when it comes to fashion. But why must I feel compelled to make fifty purchases at the start of every season? 

When is enough really enough?
And . . . is the answer never?

0 remarks:

Post a Comment