Thursday, May 20, 2010

wonders of the world

well, maybe not the world but my mom rather.
Dear Mom, 
DId you find the "best" way to cook each and everything? 
 Just when i think i have a handle on things.... I volunteer to make the lemon squares for a big party....i know????  i am NOT a baker, while i do cook atleast once a day Usually- i lean the way of buying my sweets.... no reason...well, maybe it takes too long??  Anyway, since mom is not just a phone call away i was feeling LOST.... So i ran to her books and notes.....
this is ONE tenth of mom's cooking recipes, notes, lessons, etc.  
Running low on time and patience i turned to the ole' box labeled LEMON SQUARES
Lesson #1. DO NOT use the boxed mix its NEVER as good.
do you cook?  
Do you have a cast-iron skillet?  is it rightfully seasoned?  Mine is new to the mix so i have a feeling it is FAR from seasoned.. and i have a better feeling that my mom's would be worth some major money considering the years she put into it.....
 the pictures look rather current to me! what about you? it was fun to see the ads and pictures and think of what that scene would be now-a-days....
i can assure you my boys would not be leaning over my cooked meal smiling and not shoving one another out of the way trying to see the whos and whats. oh yeah, its just a picture but my hair would not be in a perfect bun either if you are taking bets.


and if you ARE a betting reader, you can bet my mom searched the front, back, middle and sides of the newspaper.....
my mom knew the tricks of the trade no dout.  So back to me SLAVING on my pre-boxed lemon squares....
tool to make them perfectly even

a helper
a disaster waiting to happen

and a distraction....
and then when you don't have all the ingredients, you send your beloved first born to fetch them for you.... AND HE DOES IT, no questions ask and then returns it when finished....



i am NOT a baker....YET... well, i may not even go there.... i will keep you posted but i just don't love to do it as i do cooking...who knows!  But as i am receiving bunches and bunches of cards and sweet emails about my mom: the main memory people recall is the one of my mom always taking people in.... Eating over at our house for breakfast on weekends, and dinner many nights out of the week.... a big group of girls shared dinner from mom before preforming at football games and before dance practice or gymnastics..... My mom welcomed and cooked for All who wanted some no matter what time or day and SHE LOVED IT!!!  Thanks mom, you made an impact on so many people who remembered how you loved to host them and caretake and feed....
And thanks to my sorority sisters i do NOT have to cook tonight and i have some beautiful flowers to enjoy! thanks girls.  

1 remarks:

JJ said...

I was one of those lucky girls who got to eat her food and enjoy company in her warm home! Loved reading this one Amy!

Post a Comment