Thursday, February 10, 2011

can you handle the truth?

i can.  i love it!  what's that movie that has me saying "you can't handle the truth?"  I can't remember??? anyway, i love children's total honesty.... 
This week:
me: (talking out loud, a very common thing around here) "i really need to get my haircut, its been too long?"
monkey: MOM! Please don't cut your hair,  I like it to be long.... You know like Miss Missy, she is so pretty, i like her long hair.... Can you do it long?
me:  i guess i can, change is good and i have had short hair for 12 years... so we can see what happens
(i just scheduled a hair cut appointment,,,,, will i get a trim or a 4 inch cut?? to be determined!)
And on another day
my little monkey:  "mom, why are your toe nails THAT color? EEEKKKK!"
me: this is an "in" color sweetie 
(gosh! i feel myself getting older by the phrases)
 (oh! FYI it is a pretty plum color.... i think!)
monkey: well, its so dark...is it almost BLACK?
me: um, NO, its purple and different
monkey:  well, i like the pink, you know like summer pink... Can you next time do the summer pink?
Me: just laughter and a big fat smile.... I just really love the honesty from a child's mouth- it is truly music to my ears!!!  
(a couple weeks ago, this same boy of mine looked down and said "MOM (in his oh my goodness voice, PAINT YOUR TOE NAILS! as if they are all falling off or something and i assure you they are not- i kindly told him that i was giving my little toenails a break for a minute from toenail polish..... Gotta love the attention to detail from my children!) 
other happenings around here....
SNOW... more snow today!  still snowing as i peek outside.... 
Dear SNOW, 
GO AWAY!!!!
we are gearing up for t-ball, some littler boys are wishing, hoping, & praying they too will be on the ball field.... I have not had the heart to break the news to them, they will be in the stands.... But as their daddy is the coach, maybe he will let them join in on a practice or two so we can mend their hearts.

 Daddyc has dug HIS dad's baseball glove from the attic to use, talk about broken in.....
 And apparently i bought TOO many Valentines suckers for this angels class.... So.... we ate them!!! well, i take that back, we took TWO licks max and threw it away.... 
Dear SELF,
STOP already... they are NOT going to eat them.
And if we are being honest, i can honestly say our "glasses" phase of life is off to a most wonderful start.... If one of my children is going to have them, thank you that it is THIS one... No complaints, just puts them right on!  And i want to eat him up each time i look his way....

And daddyc has observed (where has he been for 5 years?) that when I am around, i ALWAYS have a fan group following me, in my lap ALWAYS IN MY LAP... ALL OF THEM....(yes, there is more than enough room!), Sharing my dinner/lunch/breakfast/snack with me, walking to get the mail with me, in the shower with me, helping me get ready (and each time i put on the last shoe, my little lamb says "D-O-N-E!" one of his very clearly stated words).... You get the point!  And a couple times he has been annoyed and said
"boys! LEave mom alone"
And the sweetest little voice piped in "but daddy we just love her so very much we can't"
So i picked my heart up off the floor, never to complain again....
And when returning from church last night, daddyc explains.... 
"everyone was doing "their" own thing until YOU get home and the flock to you and SIT in your lap"
And i smiled and my heart was warmed and enlarged ten sizes.  
God Bless my little boys! 

1 remarks:

caroline reehl said...

so so sweet! charlie is just too cute in those glasses!! miss you guys

Post a Comment